Monday, June 4, 2012

ULTRAS ART

I did it! You wouldn't think it was possible to stay lost on a dinky little island like Manyal where I'm currently staying for three hours. But I was. It doesn't take much really- just a poor sense of direction, and a refusal to ask for directions. I didn't actually mind. I only minded once it got to three hours. That's when my feet start to hurt from all that walking. Being lost was actually the idea. Like all heavily urban areas, being lost is an opportunity to discover something surprising. I set out to find these things. I set out to find ULTRAS art and graffiti. This was different than the art and graffiti I posted about earlier. I knew it must be around in Manyal because for the past couple of weeks I have been using the following mural as a marker to the street I was staying in. (Keep in mind that ULTRAS have been around only since 2007. If you're wondering why they use English- it's because they were pattered after Italian FCs Ultra Fanaticos- thus the latin script)
Red Devils Ultras Logo right; RIP; Martyr 74 (the total killed in Port Said)
 Where there was one -- and such a prominent and beautifully done one at that; there must be more I reasoned, so I started getting lost looking for more.
I don't get this - if anyone has ideas - let me know
al-Ahly and Zamalek - a conciliatory graffiti between bitter rivals against a common foe
well - conciliation only goes so far - they are bitter rivals after all
UWK mural with the artist to the left: Khaled Mamdouh
UA07 murals: I'm no expert but I think it means- you don't want to mess with us

UA07 mural: All Cops Are Bastards
UWK mural with artist to the left: Ashraf Sokkar
Freedom-and in our land- we won't live as slaves
UWK mural: Syria is Free (bleeding hearts and mourning ribbon)

UWK

No comments:

Post a Comment